Barnard College, affiliated with Columbia University and renowned for its single-digit acceptance rate for first-year applicants, maintains a remarkably transfer-friendly environment. With an acceptance of 150-250 transfers annually, there’s a favorable opportunity for prospective applicants. This blog will provide insights into the Barnard transfer acceptance rate, the transfer deadline, application requirements, the Barnard College transfer decision date, and more.
What is the Barnard transfer acceptance rate?
Here, we present the most current and historical Barnard transfer acceptance rates.
For the fall of 2022 entry, 1,011 transfer applicants sought admission, with 250 successfully accepted, resulting in a Barnard transfer acceptance rate of 24.7%. Additionally, for the spring of 2022 entry, 171 applicants applied, and 47 were admitted, reflecting a slightly higher acceptance rate of 27.5%.
When evaluating the difficulty of transferring into a specific school, it’s crucial to consider historical data. Barnard College typically maintains a transfer acceptance rate within the range of 22% to 28%, providing a consistent perspective on admission trends.
Students who have the best chance of gaining admission to Barnard have done the following:
- Earned between 24-60 college credits.
- Achieved exceptional grades at a community college or 4-year university.
- Pursued relevant and rigorous coursework. As the college states: “To strengthen your profile as a transfer student and ensure that you will be more competitive in our applicant pool, we recommend selecting courses in college that might be transferable to a liberal arts and sciences college like Barnard.”
Following are the historical transfer rates of Barnard:
What are the Barnard transfer application requirements?
Here are the Barnard transfer application requirements:
- Completed Common App for Transfer, including Writing Supplement
- Final high school transcript
- Official college transcripts
- Course descriptions compiled in a Word document
- SAT or ACT scores (optional for 2023)
- College Report & Mid-Term Report
- One letter of recommendation from a college instructor (who taught you within the last year)
- Relevant financial aid documents
What is the Barnard Transfer GPA?
While there is no official minimum GPA required for consideration at Barnard, it’s observed that students with a GPA of 3.75 or higher tend to have the strongest chance of earning admission.
What is the Barnard Transfer Writing Supplement?
All transfer applicants are required to respond to three prompts (one of which is optional):
- Required: Please submit a statement (minimum 250 words) addressing your motivations for transferring and the goals you aim to accomplish.
- Required: Our backgrounds and experiences influence how we navigate the world and perceive ourselves. Describe a situation, place, or person where you feel your most authentic and empowered self. How could Barnard College contribute to the development of this authentic version of yourself? (Maximum 300 words)
Is it easier to get into Barnard as a transfer?
Is transferring to Barnard College more accessible than entering as a first-year student? Examining the fall 2022 admissions cycle, out of 1,011 transfer applicants, 250 were accepted, resulting in a transfer acceptance rate of 24.7%. Additionally, for the spring 2022 entry, 171 applicants sought admission, with 47 ultimately accepted, yielding a slightly higher acceptance rate of 27.5%.
What is the Barnard Transfer decision date?
The Barnard transfer decision date for spring enrollment is communicated on a rolling basis following December 1. For fall applicants, notifications are sent out after May 1, also on a rolling basis.
What is the Barnard transfer application deadline?
The college provides both fall and spring transfer options. For fall applicants, the Barnard transfer deadline is March 1, while for spring applicants, the deadline is November 1.
When evaluating your application, the Barnard admissions team considers various factors in a holistic manner to address key questions:
- Why do you want to transfer to Barnard?
- Are you academically prepared for the rigor of Barnard’s classes?
- What unique interests will you contribute to the Barnard community?
- How will you positively impact your peers and enhance the school’s living and learning environment?
The admissions committee specifically looks for students with a proven academic record, intellectual curiosity, and strong potential for continued scholarly growth. While Barnard can be a great fit, it’s important to note that admission is competitive. Even with a stellar GPA, it’s advisable to apply to a mix of institutions, including safety schools, especially if you’re committed to transferring from your current college.