The best CMSs give you the opportunity to create a web page without having to write a single line of code.
But what is a content manager? A content management system, or CMS, is software that helps people with no programming experience create, control, edit, style, and publish content on the web.
Therefore, content management systems provide a simple way to manage content and documents. You don’t need any previous knowledge of CSS or HTML to write bold text or split a piece of text.
For example, you can write or copy and paste your text in WordPress and edit it as you would in Microsoft Word or LibreOffice.
What is a content manager and why should you use it?
Content management systems are basically computer programs that can be used to manage documents and / or prepare them before publishing them on the web . Although, you do NOT need to write code, you will use prescribed HTML classes and CSS styles.
For those without technical knowledge , this option to simply edit the documents is a great advantage. Even so, all those expert programmers have the possibility to edit their own code.
WordPress is one of the most popular content management systems, and it offers two options for editing files: Visual and Text . The text mode shows all the HTML and CSS code allowing to edit in real time all the visual effects that the users will see. Therefore, developers can easily manage their content by adding different properties and styles.
Advantages offered by the Best CMS: Easy to use, Zero Knowledge of Programming
Best CMSs are highly appreciated by most for the following reasons:
- Content management systems do NOT require programming or coding skills. Everything is done clearly and simply, as if you were managing content in a standard text editor. You may not realize it, but you will be using a lot of prescribed HTML classes and CSS styles.
- If you want to add additional styles , you can easily do so by taking advantage of the more advanced editing modes .
- Content management systems usually offer a well-defined control panel and user interface , with separate sections for managing different parts of websites. For example, there are categories for editing and posting documents, managing comments, or installed tools.
- The dashboard also provides general information about your website, from SEO status to the latest updates to improve security or other aspects of your website.
- Content management systems offer a wide variety of templates and themes for your website. Basically, a template represents the basic structure and position of various navigation menus. When creating a web page, we will immediately see the final result. All you have to do is replace the preset information with original ideas.
- The best CMSs allow you to store text documents, images, videos, and other types of content. In addition, there is an easy way to select and upload images or videos to posts that are intended to be published on the web.
More benefits: Plugin Installation, Localization and Programming
- We have previously mentioned that the navigation menus of content management systems have a category called additional tools . This feature allows you to install plugins that will improve the appearance or performance of your website. For example, you can install SEO-oriented plugins that will help make your website and posts more search engine friendly . In addition, you can use plugins to add different payment methods.
- A very useful function is to schedule the publication of posts . You can set the exact time when the content should be published. Therefore, you can write posts in advance and schedule them for publication the day or the following week.
- They offer many functions for content management, such as dividing the texts into titles , subtitles and the indication of keywords for your publications.
- Since predefined templates and structures are used, there is no need to adjust the appearance of your website for different screens and devices .
- If your target audience includes people from countries who speak different languages , you can add a wide variety of languages to make your website more inclusive. Not all content management systems are capable of translating content in multiple languages, but some do offer this feature. In this case, it is Ektron , Sitecore . However, there are similar functions in WordPress and Joomla as well.
Best CMS: WordPress?
The list of best CMS starts with WordPress , one of the most widely used content management systems.
WordPress.org is an open source project , supported by the WordPress Foundation . It is a free content management system. Worpress.org’s free services mean that we DO NOT have to pay a penny to install the software. In simpler terms, it is like renting a space on the Internet for your content.
WordPress.com allows you to host your website for free as long as you don’t have a problem with third-party ads intended to cover hosting costs. That said, the free hosting option is not ideal for businesses, as the bandwidth and speed of these websites are limited. Also, you may want to get rid of ads cluttering up your site. If you want to learn more about how to use WordPress, be sure to sign up for our Wordpress Course .
- Simple interface to manage your content.
- Flexibility regarding the type of website you want to create.
- Helpful publishing tools, like post scheduling .
- Simple text editor to divide content into sections and give them style.
- Safe system for storing and uploading images.
- Possibility of using plugins and expanding the functions of your website.
- Management of the website so that it is better positioned in the search engines .
Wix is a content manager in the cloud. One of the main features of Wix is its website builder , which allows you to drag and drop a wide variety of elements.
Also, Wix is a free content manager ( up to a point ). For example, the free plan does not allow you to create a unique domain name, which could be essential in making a business appear more professional. Websites that follow the free plan will have the subdomain of wix.com . This makes it one of the best CMS for beginners.
Of course, you will need to set up a hosting service for your website. With the paid plan, you will get more features and functions that are not available to users who do not pay a penny.
Wix offers 500MB of bandwidth and 500MB of cloud storage. The Premium plans expand the cloud storage to 20GB and unlimited bandwidth. If your website is growing, you may need to switch to the paid plan to have more space for your files.
Here are a couple of features that put Wix on this list of the best CMS:
- Provides many customization possibilities . For example, you can modify the default templates and make them more suitable for your brand.
- A fun and easy website builder that allows you to adjust the organization of your website.
- It allows you to optimize the content for SEO .
- User friendly interface .
When creating a website on Wix you will inevitably use Wix hosting services . This feature can be considered useful, but it might be annoying not being able to switch to another service . For example, websites created in WordPress can be hosted on WordPress but are NOT restricted to this single hosting service.
Is Wix the best content manager you can find? It depends.
Joomla allows users to create a web page and link it to MySQL, MySQLi or PostgreSQL databases. This content manager offers a built-in feature to help developers locate their websites . Therefore, it is easy to achieve the multilingual advantage over your opponents.
For example, localization of WordPress websites can only be achieved if an additional plugin is installed .
Such a statement is reasonable, but in our eyes, the differences are only minor .
In fact, Joomla offers the most important features to be treated as one of the best CMS available. In addition, it offers free and paid plans. Of course, with the free plan you will get a joomla.com subdomain . Still, you can host your site for free as long as you don’t exceed the speed and disk space restrictions .
One of the requirements for your website to survive is having to log in and hit the ” renew ” button every month. If you want to remove the joomla.com subdomain and improve disk space, you can choose one of the paid plans . In addition, you can choose another hosting service as long as it supports Joomla websites.
Drupal is a content manager, often compared to WordPress in terms of popularity. It is an open source project, which means that you can modify the code provided to better suit your needs or your brand.
This content management system offers all the usual functionalities , from helping developers publish posts, making websites SEO friendly, and storing content such as images or videos. However, Drupal has been designed for more advanced users . It is NOT recommended for users who have little or no experience using a content manager.
This CMS has its limits. It is not the best platform for blogs , since it requires a good amount of configuration before you can comfortably write the posts. Additional modules for website localization are also required.
Therefore, it might be better to choose Drupal for more serious websites. Also, you need to know at least the basics of HTML , CSS, and PHP to use it effectively. As you know, WordPress does it all for you and is the best option for beginners.